According to the National Toxicology Program, it is estimated that about 80,000 chemicals are registered for use including personal care products, prescription drugs, household cleaners, and many more. Unfortunately, our world is full of toxins, some we can’t hardly avoid even with conscious effort. This includes toxins in our air, water, and food supply. It does not include the toxins we willingly take in through our body / beauty products.
Have you ever read the ingredients list at the back your beauty/body bottle? I can hardly pronounce most of the ingredients,and it tells me most are synthetically made chemicals. Women on average use sixteen beauty products per day. Many ingredients in beauty/body products are “endocrine disruptors,” meaning they wreak havoc on your delicate endocrine system and create imbalances in your hormones. And yes Ladies, this unfortunately includes your make-up! This also applies to men, while the average number of body products used by men is less, men are also vulnerable to the “endocrine disruptors” found in body products. Highest offenders are deodorant, make-up, hair products, and unfortunately the list goes on. As a side note: many products also use gluten as a binder; so even if you are great at avoiding gluten-containing foods, gluten in body products can still be an issue for you and lead to inflammation and other issues. Choosing to avoid toxic chemicals in our body / beauty products doesn’t mean we have to go “au naturale”. There are now practical beauty/body product alternatives to decrease your toxic burden and improve your health through conscious choices.
What a naturopathic alternative doctor chooses for beauty/body products*
I have tried a laundry list of natural deodorants, organic, non-GMO shampoo and conditioners, face washes and other body products. Some I liked and others, didn’t work. Though I know I haven’t tried them all I wanted to offer some resources for non-toxic beauty /body products.
- Piper Wai Deodorant: my new best friend. It’s gotten me through my most stressful days and I can confidently say it works! Of course, I do work in an office at a desk, I don’t have to worry about bringing back-up. Even works for trips to the gym. The best part: no aluminum, parabens or other scary synthetic chemicals.
- Andalou Naturals Face Wash & Moisturizer: I love these products. They are organic, Non-GMO all-natural products. Very gentle but get the job done. The brand also carries different type for specific skin types. Thrive Market also has these products for discounted rates for you bargain seekers!
- For Make-up and other body products: I have found the Follain Website has great products that are carefully vetted and selected to ensure the products you purchase are of the highest quality and non-toxic.
* I am not affiliated with any of the companies I have listed above in any way.
Signs & symptoms of high body burden of environmental toxins
- Weight gain
- Brain Fog
- Mental illness
- Recurrent allergies
- Sinus problems
- Joint pain
- Low libido
- Erectile dysfunction
- “Low T”
- Many more…
Environmental toxins can affect all organ systems, some environmental toxins have affinity to a specific organ system and may lead to non-specific signs and symptoms. Our naturopathic alternative doctors in our Gilbert, AZ office can help to determine the source and cause of your environmental toxicity and help you regain your life back.
Here is a link to an easy to use guide developed by ATSDR with lists of contaminants, their sources and the organ systems affected: ATSDR Environmental Toxicity Guide
Naturopathic Alternative Approaches Environmental Toxicity in Gilbert, AZ
While making conscious choices with our beauty/body products, food and water sources is important. It is nearly impossible to avoid environmental toxins, as they are so prevalent in our environment, food and water supply. A comprehensive naturopathic approach may be necessary to reduce your body’s toxic environmental burden.
Benefits of a Naturopathic Alternative Detox Program in Gilbert, AZ
- Weight loss
- Clear skin
- Improved libido and sexual health
- Improved energy
- Improved Mental Clarity
- Improved work productivity
- Balanced mood
- Increased fertility & lower risk of birth defects
- Amelioration of Neurological Conditions, Autoimmune conditions, women’s/men’s health issues and more.