There are a lot of misconceptions about naturopathic treatments. Some people think that they are only for people who want to avoid conventional treatments, while others think that they are a “miracle cure” for everything. The truth is that naturopathic treatments can be extremely helpful for people who are struggling with infertility, but they should not be used as a replacement for conventional treatments.
If you are considering using naturopathic treatments to help you conceive, here are some of the best pieces of advice that you can hear:
- Talk to your doctor before starting any treatment. Naturopathic treatments can be powerful tools, and it is important to make sure that they will not interfere with any medications or other treatments that you are currently taking.
- Be patient. It can take some time to see results with naturopathic treatments, so be patient and give them a chance to work.
- Make sure that you are eating a healthy diet. This is one of the most important things that you can do to help support your fertility.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water is essential for overall health, and it is especially important when trying to conceive.
- Get enough sleep. Getting enough sleep is crucial for overall health, and it can also help improve fertility.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise is another important part of a healthy lifestyle, and it can help boost fertility as well.
- Make sure that you are getting enough folic acid. Some naturopathic doctors recommend taking relatively high doses of folic acid when trying to conceive, so be sure to talk to your doctor about whether or not this is a good idea for you.
- Talk to your doctor before trying any herbal supplements. There are some natural treatments that have been linked with infertility, and it is important to make sure that they will not interfere with any medications or other treatments that you are using before adding them into the mix.
- Make sure that you are doing everything possible to prevent infection while trying to conceive. This includes washing hands regularly and avoiding contact with people who have infections such as colds and flu, as well as being careful with food hygiene.
- Be positive. Trying to conceive can be a stressful process, but it is important to stay positive and focus on the things that you can control. Naturopathic treatments can be a great way to help you do this, and they can also help improve your overall health and well-being.
When used in combination with other treatments, naturopathic treatments can be an extremely effective way to boost fertility and improve your chances of conceiving. If you are considering using them, be sure to talk to your doctor first to make sure that they are right for you.
What are Fertility Issues?
Infertility is defined as the inability to achieve a pregnancy after 6 months if you are over the age of 35, or after 1 year if you are under the age of 35. However, fertility issues can exist long before this time frame. If your cycles are irregular, if they are very short, or if you have a lot of spotting before your period, these are some potential reasons to check in before 6-12 months have passed.
When Should Naturopathy Be Considered For Fertility Issues?
Some patients come to see the Naturopathic doctor before they begin trying to conceive, while others wait until they are in their third IVF cycle or miscarriage – so anytime is a good time!
Can Naturopathy Be Combined with Traditional Medical Interventions For Fertility?
Absolutely! About half of our fertility patients at Rebalance also see reproductive endocrinologists at fertility clinics – these two approaches complement each other very well.
Tips For Increasing Fertility Naturally On Your Own (ie diet, stress, etc)
Increasing your consumption of fruits and vegetables is a simple thing to start doing right away. Antioxidants are the most important factor in both egg and sperm health, and our fruits and vegetables are the best sources! Also, try to engage in activities that will help you relax. Stress can have a negative impact on our hormones.
5 things to know before seeing a Naturopathic Doctor for Infertility
Talking about infertility can be hard, especially if you’ve already been talking about it for a while. So, here’s what you can expect at your first appointment with a Naturopathic Doctor.
- Bring copies of any bloodwork and/or other tests you’ve had done.
If you’ve already been worked up by a family doctor or OBGYN, try to bring copies of these to your first appointment. The results of these tests can help us get to the root cause of why you haven’t gotten pregnant.
- Be prepared to talk about your period.
We will ask you about the length of your cycle, whether you experience any premenstrual symptoms, pain, etc. We often suggest using one of the many menstrual tracking apps to make gathering this information easier. And, we may ask you to track your basal body temperature for a cycle or two.
- Bring a list of medications and supplements you take at home.
We will carefully review these to see if any have the potential to interfere with getting pregnant or staying pregnant. Or, we may suggest changes if indicated.
- Keep a 1-week diet diary.
Food is medicine, and the food you eat can profoundly influence your fertility. There are several evidence-based diets such as the Mediterranean diet that are associated with higher rates of fertility and pregnancy. But, before we suggest these changes, we want to see where you’re starting from!
- Be patient.
This is the hardest recommendation to follow, as many patients we see have already been patient, often for many years. But, remember that it takes approximately 100 days or so for an egg to complete its maturation cycle, so the changes you make today (or next week) may not take full effect for 3-4 months.
But, above all else, we want to see you be as healthy as you can be. Fertility often follows health, so if you aren’t at your best we will help you get there.
And finally, know that we will meet you wherever you are in the process. We welcome all couples to our practice, whether they’re getting ready for IVF or just starting the process of figuring it all out. If you’ve already decided to pursue IUI or IVF, you can read about our complimentary approach here.
Do You Need a Naturopathic Doctor Specializing in Fertility in Gilbert, Arizona?
Atlas Health Medical Group in Gilbert, Arizona specializes in providing Naturopathic Fertility Treatment to the East Valley including Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, San Tan, and Queen Creek. When women with PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome start thinking about becoming pregnant, they find that it can be challenging and they may suffer from infertility. Infertility is defined as struggling to become pregnant after trying for 1 full year, or if you are over 35 years old- after 6 months of trying. Some women have even been told by their ob/gyn that they won’t be able to have a baby without IVF or a fertility specialist. However, we have worked with many women diagnosed with PCOS and I have been able to help them reach hormone balance in order to naturally conceive! We pride ourselves on setting the standards of patient care and result-driven treatments. This approach has allowed us to become the leading Naturopathic clinic in Gilbert, Arizona. Our patients return to health and live the life they intended. Contact us today for your first appointment!