Making healthy choices can be hard. There are so many temptations surrounding us and finding the time to hit the gym or go to a yoga class seems to get more difficult as the years pass by. Staying healthy takes work, but it’s worth it. When you maintain good health and make healthy choices on a consistent basis, you’ll stay in control of your body and reduce the chances of developing chronic or acute medical conditions. One of the best ways to stay focused on your health is to set goals. With the New Year right around the corner, there’s never been a better time to take control of your health and set goals for the upcoming year.
What are Health Goals?
Creating a health goal doesn’t have to be a daunting task. There are a number of different goals you can set, depending on what you’d like to achieve, that will help you work towards a more healthy and fit lifestyle. We recommend creating a health goal in each of the following areas this year so you can work toward a well-rounded lifestyle.
- Quality of Life – create a goal to do something that will help you enjoy everyday life to the fullest. Maybe this means having a few minutes for me-time in the morning, getting outside everyday, or creating a gratitude journal. Do something that you enjoy and that will make every day feel like a gift.
- Physical Health – taking care of your body goes above nutrition and fitness. If you currently smoke or drink in excess, consider setting goals to quit or reduce your alcohol intake. Doing so will have tremendous benefits for your physical health and will help you reduce your chances of developing serious medical conditions or cancers.
- Mental Health – your mind is just as important as your body, if not more. Create goals to help you manage your stress, unwind, and relax. It’s okay to have some time for yourself, especially if it means getting back into the right mindset. 2020 is the year that we all need to start prioritizing our mental health instead of treating it as a taboo subject.
- Nutrition and Fitness – even if you don’t need to lose any weight, eating nutritious food and creating fitness goals is a great way to fuel your body. Regardless if you need to focus on eating more vegetables, losing weight, or eating less processed food; creating a goal will help. In conjunction, fitness goals will help you gain strength and increase mobility.
Remember, achieving your health goals will take work. You need to be honest with yourself while you’re setting them about where you are, where you want to be, and how you’re going to get there. Consider setting mini goals along the way to help you celebrate small success. Progress is always progress, no matter how small.
Why It’s Important to Set Goals
A lot of people think that they can simply change their habits and see the results they want. That’s not the case. Far too often life distracts us and we lose our way, fall back into unhealthy habits, or return to our vices. Setting goals allows us to provide direction in our daily lives and have a clear focus on what’s important to us in the big picture of things. You’ll find that with goals in place, you’ll make decisions with more clarity and control and small successes along the way will give you the motivation you need to keep moving forward.
How to Set Goals for Your Health
The most important aspect of setting goals is doing so in a way that allows you to measure progress. That’s why many people use the SMART approach. Simply put, your goals need to be Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. Take the time to work through all four areas of your health and set goals for each.
- Specific – include all of the details about what goal you’re setting, how you plan to achieve the goal, and why you’re setting the goal in the first place. Be specific. Try answering who, what, why, where, when, and how to better define your goal.
- Measureable – if you can’t track your progress, it will be easy to forget about your goals. Make sure that you include how you’re going to measure success. It may be through the use of a journal, pounds or inches lost, your blood pressure, miles ran, or more.
- Achievable – a good health goal should be achievable. Have people accomplished this in the past? Do you have the resources you need to successfully reach your goal?
- Realistic – don’t be unrealistic. You need to be able to actually reach your goals, otherwise you’re going to fall off the wagon and have a hard time getting back on. Set goals that you can reach, then set new ones.
- Timely – create a start and finish date for each of your goal to give yourself urgency and motivation.
Atlas Health Medical Group is here to help you achieve your 2020 health goals. We offer nutrient IV therapy to help give your body the nourishment it needs to thrive.
IV therapy has been shown to increase energy levels, re-set the immune system, boost hydration levels, increase athletic performance, and even improve your overall mood. The extra vitamins, electrolytes, and minerals are a perfect supplement to help you reach your 2020 health goals. Atlas Health Medical Group also offers detox programs to help you boost your weight loss efforts, increase mental clarity, achieve better sleep, and improve productivity. Atlas Health Medical Group is a network of naturopathic medical doctors that offer innovative treatments including stem cell therapy, bio-identical hormones, PRP treatments, nutrient IVs, and more. We work with the highest standards of individualized care to get our patients the results they want and need. Visit our website today to learn more, or give us a call at (480) 648-1534.