Freestone Park was the first major District Park of the Town of Gilbert and started with 65 acres which were opened to the public in June 1988. The softball fields, concession building & bathrooms, "tot lot" adult fitness workout center, 2 multi-use fields, and amphitheater were original amenities.
Over time, additional acreage was added, leading to the current total of 88 acres developed and 32 acres undeveloped. The park's original cost was $3.2 million for the land and $3.5 million for the upgrades.
The Freestone Railroad, which has a miniature train, antique carousel, and a mini Ferris wheel, plus the Rip City Batting cages, all added in 1992, is also hosted by Freestone Park. In 1996, additional amenities added to the park included volleyball and basketball courts plus a courtside ramada. The tennis courts and skate park were further constructed in 2001. Finally, in December 2002, the Freestone Recreation Center was opened north of the park.
After celebrating the park's 25th anniversary in 2013, Freestone underwent some major improvements, including new surfacing of the basketball court, new ballfield lights and a new shaded playground structure. In 2015, a new playground structure was added with wheelchair accessibility to the ballfield area.
Amenities for the Park
- 2 Lake Areas (Total 5 Acres); Use of Water Reclaimed
- Stocked lakes for fishing
- 4 Adult Softball Fields Lighted
- 2 Fields Multiuse
- 2 Sand Volleyball Courts Lighted (with water timers to cool the sand)
- 4 Full Basketball Courts Lighted
- 4 Lighted Courts of Tennis
- Center for Recreation in Freestone
- Park Skate
- 3 Reservable Ramadas and 6 Shaded Picnic Tables and 7 BBQ Grills Open Picnic Tables
- 3 Restroom Installations
- Checkerboards 2
- 3 Areas with playgrounds (1 tot lot, 1 wheelchair accessible, 1 aged 5-12 years)
- Receptacles of Trash
- Different benches, racks for bikes, multi-use trails
- Freestone Railroad - amusement rides, birthday parties, snack bars.
- Cages of Batting
- 472 spaces for parking
- 88 Park Acre
Ramada's/Tables for Picnic
It is possible to book Ramadas and other amenities any day of the day.
About 5:30am-10:00pm week.
Courtside: Medium 6-table ramada with 2 grills. Available power,
Available Inflatable Area
Playground: Large 8-table ramada with 1 grill. Disposable power.
Tennis Court: tiny ramada with 2 tables, no barbecue. No electrical power.
Open park picnic tables, groups of 2 tables, 10 sets.
Three sets of picnic tables for soccer fields, groups of 4.
The Freestone Park lakes are now part of the Community Fishing Program and will be stocked with fish from September/October onwards.
These amazing landmarks are just one of the many must-see sights you don’t want to miss in Gilbert, Arizona:
- Water Tower Plaza
- Southeast Regional Library
- Perry Library
- Gilbert Temple, Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day-saints
- St. Anne's Roman Catholic Church
- Golfland Sunsplash
- Riparian Preserve At Water Ranch
- San Tan Mountain Regional Park
All of these wonderful landmarks are located just a short distance from our offices located at 1447 West Elliot Road #103 in Gilbert! Stop by for a visit anytime!